Every year on December 2, people throughout the world observe International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022 Theme, Wishes & Best Quotes. The United Nations General Assembly enacted the Convention for Suppression of Traffic in Persons as well as the Exploitation of Prostitution of Others on this day in 1949. This day is devoted to eradicating contemporary forms of slavery, including forced marriage, human trafficking, the most egregious types of child labor, sexual exploitation, and kidnapping for use in armed confrontation.
It aims to increase public awareness of the problem of modern slavery and to support international efforts to prevent it. Governments, organizations, and people are urged to use this day in particular as a platform to condemn the horrors of slavery in its contemporary version, which is still practiced today. Fun fact: While the International Day for Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is a day to consider the atrocities done during the Transatlantic Slave Trade Era, the International Day for the Abolition of Slavery’s purpose is different.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022 Quotes
The United Nations Convention for Suppression of Traffic in Persons and of the Exploitation of Prostitution from Others (resolution 317(IV) of 2 December 1949) was adopted by the General Assembly on December 2, which is recognized as International Day for the Abolition of Slavery.
This day is dedicated to ending modern slavery, including forced marriage, sex trafficking, the worst kinds of child labor, and human trafficking. The International Labor Organization (ILO) estimates that there are presently 21 million victims of forced labor globally, which generates US$ 150 billion in annual illicit profits inside the private economy.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery Quotes Messages
- “Making others our slaves is the worst thing we are doing to someone and we need to end it. Happy International Day for the Abolition of Slavery to everyone…”
- “The occasion of International Day for the Abolition of Slavery reminds us that slavery needs to be ended and we must all stand together to end it…”
- “Closing our eyes towards the problem of slavery is a way of contributing to it in a silent manner. Warm wishes on International Day for the Abolition of Slavery to everyone…”
- “Don’t let this world become a bad place by promoting slavery, rather make it a better place by ending it all. A very Happy International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022…”
- “Each one of us deserves freedom from slavery and that is what we must work for. Warm wishes on International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022…”
Modern Slavery is Expanding
According to the International Labor Organization’s (ILO) most recent estimates, forced labor, as well as forced marriage, have dramatically grown over the last five years. 50 million people globally were estimated to be in modern slavery in 2021, 10 million higher than the estimated number in 2016. Children and women continue to be disproportionately susceptible.
Despite there being no legal definition of contemporary slavery, it is used to refer to crimes including forced labor, debt servitude, forced marriage, and even human trafficking. In essence, it refers to exploitative circumstances when a person is unable to refuse or leave due to violence, threats, coercion, misrepresentation, or the misuse of authority. Nearly all nations in the globe are affected by modern slavery, which transcends racial, cultural, and religious boundaries. In upper-middle-class or high-income nations, forced labor accounts for more than half (52%) of all cases, while forced marriages account for 25% of all cases.
In order to support international efforts to end forced labor, the ILO enacted a binding legal Protocol in November 2016.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery Quotes 2022
- “Slavery is the best example of the narrow-mindedness of humans. Let us end it and let freedom prevail. Wishing a very Happy International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022…”
- “The world cannot grow if we do not end slavery. Warm greetings on the occasion of International Day for the Abolition of Slavery to you…”
- “The occasion of International Day for the Abolition of Slavery reminds us all that in these modern times, the problem of slavery still exists…”
- “There are millions of people around the globe who are still working as slaves and we need to make them free. Happy International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022…”
More modern forms of forced labor, such as migrant workers who have been trafficked, exist alongside more traditional aspects of forced labor, like bonded labor and debt bondage. These workers are used for economic exploitation of all kinds in the global economy, including work in domestic service, the construction sector, the food and apparel industry, the agricultural sector, and forced prostitution.
Trafficking in persons is defined as the recruitment, mass transit, transfer, harboring, or receipt of persons for the purpose of exploitation through the threat or actual use of force or other kinds of coercion, according to the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress, and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children. Exploitation includes forced labor or services, enslavement, or acts that are comparable to slavery, servitude, or the removal of organs, as well as the prostitution of other people or other types of sexual exploitation. The victim’s agreement to being trafficked for exploitation has no bearing on this, and If a kid is the victim of trafficking, it is still illegal even if no physical force is used.
Become a Thoughtful Shopper
Making a commitment to exclusively purchasing items with the label “fair trade,” which denotes that they were created ethically, is one way to celebrate the International Day for Abolition of Slavery and to effect real change. To be sure there’s no slave labor involved in the production of the items, check the firms you buy from or their supply chains. You may also demand that companies stop slavery and forced labor in their distribution networks.
Focus on Obtaining Ethical Labor
There is no better way of supporting the day for business owners than to make a commitment to creating your products and providing your services in an ethical manner. To increase sales, you may persuade other business owners and even brand your products as having been made using moral work.
Stop Treating Others Badly
Look inside yourself; you could be in some manner oppressing someone or several individuals. It is not too later to modify your behaviors if you discover that you’re guilty of this. After reading about slavery in history, one must comprehend what it’s like to be oppressed, and one would not like to be the oppressor.