The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed annually on August 9 to raise awareness of and defend the rights of indigenous peoples worldwide. The achievements and efforts of indigenous people on global issues like environmental preservation are also recognized during this festival. A day after the first meeting of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations of the Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in 1982, the UN General Assembly accepted the proclamation for the first time in December 1994.
History Of International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
The first International Decade of the World’s Indigenous Peoples began in 1994, and the United Nations General Assembly declared December 1 of that year as the first International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples (1995–2004). To convey the UN’s message about indigenous peoples, people from all over the world are urged to take part in the celebration of the day. To better appreciate and comprehend indigenous peoples, activities may include educational forums and classroom exercises.
The International Day of the World’s Indigenous People shall be marked annually on August 9. During the International Decade of the World’s Indigenous People. In line with resolution 49/214 adopted by the UN General Assembly on December 23, 1994. This date in 1982 marked the first meeting of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations. The Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights.
Who are the World’s, Indigenous Peoples?
Indigenous people are the original inhabitants of a location. They established a community there before other people moved in to reside there, conquer it, or colonize it. Indigenous people self-identify as such. That implies that they decide whether or not to identify as indigenous on their own.
In 90 different nations, there are more than 350 million indigenous people. They speak the vast majority of the hundreds of languages. Indigenous communities frequently have unique values, cultures, and traditions. Many indigenous people still have a strong connection to the earth and have a deep appreciation and understanding of their environment.
What Challenges do They Face?
In the societies in which they dwell, indigenous peoples are not the dominant group. The groups that arrived later are the dominant ones. As a result of their lack of political representation, social protection, and economic power, indigenous peoples have experienced numerous issues. Despite making up fewer than 5% of the world’s population, indigenous people account for 15% of the world’s poorest people. Members of indigenous tribes tend to live shorter lifetimes than people from non-indigenous groups. They are more likely to have limited access to healthcare and education.
Many of these languages are in danger of extinction and are not typically taught in schools. Numerous indigenous peoples lack authority over their territory. Governments and businesses encroach on their land to clear it for farming, logging, or other activities that deplete the environment’s natural resources.
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples Quotes
- “For many years and decades, the indigenous people have lived unrecognized. Therefore, we must celebrate World Indigenous Peoples’ Day to always acknowledge their contribution…”
- “On the occasion of World Indigenous Peoples’ Day, let us praise the locals who belong to this land and let us express our gratitude towards them for keeping their heritage alive…”
- “Wishing a very Happy World Indigenous People’s Day Quotes. Always praise nativism and pray that they keep their history and culture alive…”
- “We must never forget that the Native Americans were the first occupants of this land where we stay. Let us always respect them. Happy World Indigenous People’s Day 2023…”
- “Always have respect for the American natives who have lived through all these times and kept their uniqueness intact. Happy World Indigenous Peoples’ Day 2023…”
- “The occasion of World Indigenous Peoples’ Day is all about recognizing all the prejudice and slaughter that we have executed on the natives. Warm wishes on this day.
- “Let us always remember that they are the natives who have worked hard to stay what they are and not let anyone change it. Happy World Indigenous Peoples’ Day Peoples 2023…”
- “Being indigenous is all about helping anyone and everyone around you. Wishing you a very Happy World Indigenous Peoples’ Day 2023…”
- “On the occasion of World Indigenous Peoples’ Day, let us celebrate this day by recognizing all the pain and challenges the natives have undergone…”