On November 11, Canada (as well as the 53 other Commonwealth countries, almost all of which were once British Empire colonies) observes Remembrance Day. It has a similar meaning to Veterans Day in America. Remembrance Day, observed annually since the end of World War I, is actually Armistice Day, the day on which the Allies and Germany ended hostilities on the Western Front.
Due to the symbolism of the remembrance poppy, Remembrance Day is also known as Poppy Day and is honored by Commonwealth member states. Remembrance Day is observed on November 11 at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in nations like Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
Happy Remembrance Day Wishes 2022
- “They gave their lives, let us take some time and give them the respect they deserve on this Remembrance Day 2022…”
- “We fell but they rose to take bullets. Our hearts filled with tears when each of the brave hearts struck down and hit the mud. We stand together and celebrate Remembrance Day 2022…”
- “Happy Remembrance Day. Let us make the most of today by counting our blessings and standing proud…”
- “It is the 11thhour, 11th day, and 11th Just the perfect time to remember the brave souls who let their lives to the nation and observe Remembrance Day 2022…”
- “Never ever forget what they gave us. We are living their dream. Observe this Remembrance Day with all respect in heart…”
- “Each of the martyrs is a hero as they have given more importance to the country than their own lives. Glad to remember each of them on Remembrance Day 2022…”
The history of Remembrance Day
After more than four years of nonstop fighting, the guns on the Western Front finally stopped firing at 11 a.m. on November 11, 1918. Following four months of severe defeats at the hands of the allied armies, the Germans were forced back. The Germans requested an armistice in November to end the hostilities and bring about a solution. They agreed to allied conditions that amounted to a total surrender.
In the years following the war, the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month took on a unique significance. The end of the war’s hostilities on the Western Front became a universal symbol of remembering those who perished in the conflict. Over 70 million people were mobilized for this first combat of the modern era, and between 9 and 13 million people died, up to a third of whom may not have a recognized burial. The allied nations choose this day and hour to honor their fallen warriors.
Two minutes of silence were added to the major commemorative event at the new Cenotaph in London on the first anniversary of the armistice in 1919. Australian journalist Edward Honey, who was employed on Fleet Street, suggested the moment of silence. A similar suggestion was made to the British Cabinet at around the same time by a South African leader, who received approval.
Happy Remembrance Day Quotes 2022
- “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself…” >Joseph Campbell
- “The hero is the man dedicated to the creation and/or defense of reality-conforming, life-promoting values…” >Andrew Bernstein
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them…” >John F. Kennedy
- “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes…” >Maya Angelou
- “Valor is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul…” >Michel de Montaigne
- “This nation will remain the land of the free only as long as it is home of the brave…” >Elmer Davis
- “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened…” >Billy Graham
Armistice Day gave rise to the custom of Remembrance Day. At Buckingham Palace, the king hosted a meal in honor of the French president to kick off the first Armistice Day. Later, many nations changed the name of the festival during World War II. Americans decided on Veterans Day. In six of Canada’s ten provinces, Remembrance Day, also known as “Jour du Souvenir,” is still a recognized holiday.
In accordance with the Armistice Day Act, which was in effect during the 1920s, Canada’s Thanksgiving would also be honored on Armistice Day, which fell on the Monday after November 11 that year. The date was formally changed to November 11 by the government in 1931. Additionally, Remembrance Day became the new name.
In particular, the First and Second World Wars, the Korean War, and all subsequent conflicts in which members of the Canadian Armed Forces have taken part.
The National War Memorial in Ottawa, Ontario, is the location of the official Canadian national ceremonies, which follow a precise protocol. The representatives of the military forces perform a service. The body of a Canadian soldier who perished in France during World War I but whose identity has not been established was interred in the National War Memorial’s Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in May 2000.
Happy Remembrance Day Messages 2022
- “He famously said: “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes…”
- “People can celebrate with famous words from those close to the conflict and the following armistice…”
- “Harold Nicolson, who served as a British delegate to the Paris Peace Conference in 1919 drew together the importance of remembrance in one breath…”
- “Lord, bid war’s trumpet cease Fold the whole earth in peace…”