World Mission Sunday 2023: World Mission Sunday, which falls on October 23, is a day set aside each year for Catholics all over the world to recommit themselves to the Church’s missionary effort. Global Mission Sunday is a designated day for the worldwide Catholic Church to publicly reaffirm its dedication to the missionary endeavor, overseen by the Pontifical Mission Societies, often known as Missio.
Every year, it is observed on the penultimate (next-to-last) Sunday, October 22, 2023). It was established as a day of prayer for missionaries by Pope Pius XI in 1926, connected closely to the Society for the Propagation of the Faith. The 2021 theme was Acts 4:20’s statements that we must speak about what we have seen and heard apply here.
History and facts of the Day
Three key milestones in the Church’s missionary work will be commemorated in the Year of Our Lord 2022. Since the Sacred Congregation De Propaganda Fide, now known as the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, was founded in 1622, the Church has been evangelizing new regions of the world. Pauline Jaricot was prompted by the Holy Spirit to organize prayer circles and collections for missionaries and mission regions, starting with the young and struggling United States of America, exactly 200 years ago.
In Lyon, France, in May of this year, Blessed Pauline was beatified. Three missionary organizations were labeled as “pontifical” one hundred years ago: the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, the Missionary Childhood Association, and the Society of St. Peter the Apostle. The Pontifical Missionary Union, the fourth, was later recognized as a papal organization by Pope St. Paul VI.
The theme for World Mission Day 2023
“You shall be my witnesses” is the theme for World Mission Day in 2022. (Acts 1:8) World Mission Sunday, which falls on October 23, is a day set aside each year for Catholics worldwide to renew their commitment to the Church’s missionary effort.
Observance of The Day
The following five activities can help you and your church or diocese celebrate World Mission Sunday this year:
- Organize a unique service: Use this Litany for World Mission as a church to commemorate and spread awareness. You can use the materials listed here.
- Educate: Invite a missionary to address your congregation during or after church to inform them of what is going on abroad. If you’re interested in learning more about missions, Five Talents has provided a selection of their top mission books.
- Be mission stewards: Mission is not limited to being abroad. Encourage your congregation to get involved in local mission activities. Plan a service day for a nonprofit organization that your church is passionate about.
- Take up a special offering: Think about gathering a special gift for the missionaries or organizations you support on the day you observe World Mission Sunday.
- Pray for the way God is leading your congregation to take part in international missions. Pray for the church missionaries. Pray for people who are considering accepting a call to the mission field.
World Mission Sunday 2023 Quotes:
- “On the occasion of World Mission Sunday, let us join our hands to have a life, have a world that we all have dreamt for.”
- “God supports those who work for themselves…. Warm wishes on World Mission Sunday…. Always follow your path.”
- “Happy World Mission Sunday will always remind us that all the churches. This world has a purpose and we must fulfill it.”
- “Wishing a very Happy World Mission Sunday…. Let us pray and work for a happier and better tomorrow for everyone around us.”
- “Warm wishes on World Mission Sunday to everyone…. Let us follow the path shown to us by the Almighty to make this world a wonderful place.
This year, we urge you to serve as a missionary testimony. Celebrate World Mission Sunday locally by educating your church members about missions and sharing your testimony.