Thanksgiving Day USA 2023: Top 50+ Wishes And Quotes – November 23 is a recognized national holiday every year in both the United States and Canada. This year, in 2023, Thanksgiving will be commemorated on November 23. (Thursday).
Thanksgiving is a day set aside to express gratitude for the harvest and other blessings received over the previous year. It is commemorated on the fourth Thursday of November. Thanksgiving Day is also honored in a small number of areas in India, mostly those with a Christian majority.
The Wampanoag and English colonists (Pilgrims) of Plymouth, Massachusetts, had a harvest feast in 1621, and it is widely accepted among Americans that this event served as the inspiration for Thanksgiving. Turkey, bread stuffing, potatoes, cranberries, and pumpkin pie are the staple Thanksgiving fare.
The American festival is especially rich in symbolism and mythology. Due to family gatherings, the holiday can occasionally see the most traffic of the year. Thanksgiving Day is commemorated on Thursday, November 23, 2023.
History of Thanksgiving Day USA
Thanksgiving has been sporadically commemorated across the nation since 1789 when President George Washington declared it as a result of a request from Congress. In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a day of “Thanksgiving and Praise to our Beneficent Father Who Dwelleth in the Heavens” as well as a call for the citizens of the United States to “fervently beg the interposition of the Almighty hand to heal the wounds of the nation.”
Thomas Jefferson made the decision not to mark the holiday. After that, it was sporadically noticed. Lincoln decided on the last Thursday in November as the date. On June 28, 1870, President Ulysses S. Grant signed the Holidays Act into law, making Thanksgiving a yearly official holiday in Washington, D.C. On January 6, 1885, congressional legislation made Thanksgiving and other federal holidays paid holidays for all government workers countrywide.
Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the date was modified to be observed between 1939 and 1941, one week earlier, following a heated dispute. Beginning in 1942, Thanksgiving was given a set day to be observed, the fourth Thursday in November, and was no longer left up to the president’s whim.
Happy Thanksgiving Messages 2023
- “May this Thanksgiving be filled with lots of love, sweetness, lights, and memories for you and your loved ones. Be thankful and spread gratitude among your family and others for this wonderful occasion! Happy Thanksgiving 2023 November…”
- “Here comes another year of giving thanks for all the blessings we received. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating. I hope you have a great year ahead. Happy Thanksgiving Messages 2023…”
- “On this festive of gratitude, I want to thank you for all the love, kindness, and support you have ushered me throughout the years. Happy Thanksgiving November 2023…”
- “This Thanksgiving, I am eternally grateful for having you as my partner. Your unwavering support, sheer loyalty, and unconditional love have made my life worth living. Happy Thanksgiving, my love…”
Thanksgiving Day Traditions and Rituals
The preparation and sharing of a sumptuous feast with loved ones now dominate Thanksgiving festivities in many American homes rather than the holiday’s original religious significance. Turkey may or may not have been served during the first Thanksgiving meal hosted by the Pilgrims in 1621. Since then, Turkey has become such a staple of the celebration that it is now all but synonymous with it.
Today, however, whether it is roasted, baked, or deep-fried, the National Turkey Federation estimates that 90% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving. A few more traditional foods are pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and stuffing. Volunteering on Thanksgiving Day is a long-standing custom, and communities routinely organize food drives and offer free dinners to the less fortunate.
Since the middle of the 20th century, and maybe even earlier, the president of the United States has “pardoned” one or two turkeys for Thanksgiving every year. This keeps the turkeys from being killed and instead sends them to a farm where they may retire. Several American governors also follow the yearly custom of pardoning turkeys.
Some wishes, messages, and greetings for Happy Thanksgiving 2023
At this time of the Thanksgiving celebration, you are in our thoughts as we express our sincere gratitude. On Thanksgiving, we express thanks for both our close-knit family relationships and the seasonal bounty. The true meaning of the holiday is giving gratitude. As suggested by the title, it is a day to “give gratitude.”
- I wish you the happiest Thanksgiving Day in the USA in 2023.
- Being kind is a gift that lasts forever. I sincerely hope you will be here for Thanksgiving. God 3. for his everlasting love and blessings, and for your loved ones.
- Every day I want you to know how much I appreciate you, but today is very special. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
- May the following year be filled with all the beautiful things in life, not just on Thanksgiving.
- Happy Thanksgiving, a pleasant holiday season, and a prosperous new year to you.
- Happy Thanksgiving from across the miles to you and your family.