Except for Chile, where it might be changed to a Friday based on what day of the week it occurs, this national holiday is usually observed on October 31st. During the triduum of Allhallowtide, on October 31, Reformation Day is a Protestant Christian liturgical celebration commemorating the start of the Reformation. It is also known as Halloween.
Philip Melanchthon claims that Martin Luther, a German monk, nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the All-Saints Church at Wittenberg, Electorate of Saxony, in the Holy Roman Empire on October 31, 1517. Although it has never been verified, historians and other subject matter specialists contend that Luther may also have intentionally picked All Hallows’ Eve to attract common people’s attention.
According to the information that is now available, Luther wrote his writing to Mainz Archbishop Albert of Brandenburg on October 31, 1517. This has been confirmed, and together with the rumored (Melanchthon seems to be the only evidence for that) hanging of the Ninety-Five Theses/Grievances to the door of All Saints’ Church on the same day, it is today considered the beginning of the Reformation.
Happy Reformation Day Quotes 2022
- “Listen to the Reformation Polka to celebrate Reformation day in a fun way with your friends and family…” >Anonymous.
- “Dress up as numerous Reformation Figures to entertain and the importance of this holiday to your children. Wishing you and your family a lovely Reformation Day…” >Anonymous.
- “Celebrate this special occasion of Reformation day by singing the Reformation Hymns composed by some of the well-known Reformers. Have a musically inspiring Reformation Day ahead…” >Anonymous.
Reformation Day history
Martin Luther (1483–1546), a German monk, is remembered on Reformation Day for walking up to the Wittenburg church in 1517 and nailing his 95 “theses” (or proposals) to the door. Because he anticipated that All Saints Day would fill the church the next day, Luther decided to perform this on October 31.
When he published his thesis, Luther wanted to draw attention to the Roman Catholic Church’s indulgence practice. Indulgences were essentially pardons from sin which could be purchased, allowing those with sufficient wealth to do so. Luther had thought that by pinning his objections to the cross, he would encourage more discussion and cement the public’s opposition to the practice.
But because so many people accepted his views, they swiftly swept through western Europe, boosted by the printing press’s new creation, sparking the religious uprising described as the Reformation.
With the advent of the Reformation, several Christians decided to leave the Roman Catholic Church and found their own, distinct churches, such as the Lutheran Church. The crucial event ultimately resulted in the development of the different Protestant denominations, so named because they can trace their theological roots back to this “disapproval” of the Catholic Church.
According to Pew Research Center data from 2010, 37% of all Christians worldwide identify as Protestants. The first Reformation Day celebrations took place in the Germanic area in the seventeenth century, and from 1949 and 1967, East Germany observed Reformation Day as a national holiday.
Happy Reformation Day 2022 Wishes
- “On this year’s Reformation day, post all the 95 Theses on your front door to uniquely celebrate the reformers’ efforts to make our religion beautiful. Wish you a very cheerful Reformation Day 2022…”
- “Every day is a reformation day if you chose to believe it. Wish you a delightful Reformation Day 2022…”
- “A very warm and happy regards to all the PB brothers and sisters on this special occasion of Reformation Day 2022…”
- “We don’t really need a day to celebrate the essential reformation of our religion. But on the eve of this special day, I wish you and your family a happy Reformation Day 2022…”
- “Abide and dwell onto the beliefs that are spread by the reformation of religion. Have a blessed Reformation Day ahead…”
- “On this Reformation Day, I urge you to believe the words written in a bible rather than believing the words of a priest. Have a fruitful Reformation Day 2022…”
- “A good and warm greeting on this anniversary to you and your family. Hope you have a wonderful Reformation Day ahead…”
- “On this special eve of Reformation Day, feel jolly and holy to remember God’s merciful providence. A very happy Reformation Day to you and your family…”
The Lutheran and Reformed Churches, in particular, are among the Protestant denominations that commemorate it. As a result of ecumenical activities, some other Christian organizations now frequently recognize or take part in church ceremonies honoring Reformation Day. Included in this category are mostly the Roman Catholic Church and a number of Protestant groups that are neither Protestant nor Reformed, i.e., have no direct ties to the religious activities of 16th-century Europe.
In the US, churches will frequently rearrange the holiday such that it falls on the Sunday (known as Reformation Sunday) on or before October 31 and move All Saints Day to the Sunday on or after November 1.